Voted by her peers as a Top Dentist in the Orthodontic category from Honolulu Magazine for 10 years in a row (as of 2016), and counting!
Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) degree earned, with honors, at the University of the Pacific School of Dentistry in 1998.
Masters in the Science of Dentistry (M.S.D.) and certification in orthodontics also earned at UOP in 2000.
Certified by the American Board of Orthodontics (ABO) in 2005 and re-certified in 2011.
Dr. Malia Kamisugi, DDS, MSD
I would like to extend my heartfelt welcome to you!
My name is Dr. Malia Kamisugi, and I began working for this orthodontic practice in the year 2000. The practice was previously known as Kamisugi Orthodontics and owned by my father, Dr. Arthur Kamisuigi, who opened doors in 1972.
Dr. Art began his well-earned retirement at the end of 2013. We miss him but do enjoy seeing his patients return with their children and friends. In 2015, I rebranded the practice to Hi Smile Orthodontics – as a reiteration of our commitment to high-quality service, high standard technology and great appreciation for our home, Hawaii.
As a member of the Hi Smile Ohana, I love to see that my patients are working to better themselves. It is both humbling and exciting to see them smile when they notice the changes in both aesthetics and confidence boost. I feel blessed to be in a profession that allows me to be able to work with and on amazing people.
Outside the office, I delight in the following affiliations, charity work, spending time with family and partaking in several sports/hobbies.
- HSO: Hawaii Society of Orthodontists (past-president)
- PCSO: Pacific Coast Society of Orthodontists
- HCDS: Honolulu County Dental Society (past president)
- DAH Study Club: Dental Associates of Hawaii (past president)
- Terry Tanaka Study Club
- ODKF: Outrigger Duke Kahanamoku Foundation (past president)
- Plant a Tree Hawaii: (vice president)
- Waianae Mountains Watershed Partners: partner
- Hawaii Smiles: Head Start Oral Health Screening: volunteer
- No 2 Plastic: Pledgee
- Two sons: Aka and Nalu (enjoy surfing, playing around, water polo, and being boys)
- Husband: Mike Pietsch (President of Title Guaranty, Hawaii. Patagonia Ambassador – big wave Surfer)
- Liko (Hi Smile Therapy Dog and Cat Stevens
- Outrigger Canoe Paddling (Completed over twenty Molokai Channel crossings and majority of the finishes were in the top four).
- National Team Kayak. Most notable achievements: Pan American Team Member, Junior National Team Member (3 years) and Senior National Team Member (2 years)
- Beach Volleyball: recently won the “Dinosaur” tournament on Oahu
- Hobbies: surfing, diving, hiking, reading, snowboarding/skiing, beach volleyball, paddling, yoga
I am always happy to see past and current patients – appointments with you are reminiscent of delightful family reunions. To new patients, I am excited to meet you, welcome you to the Hi Smile Ohana and start your treatment journey.
Mahalo Nui Loa,
Dr. Malia Kamisugi DDS, MSD